Disclaimer: This is not a political forum. I do not intend to begin a debate on beliefs, or fuel any sort of bipartisan fire. This is my space where I get to write what I'm feeling at any particular moment. And if you disagree--GOOD. It means America is working.
I'm not exactly what one would call politically savvy. I follow the bare minimum these days of the shenanigans that go on in Washington (a fact that probably makes my Grandfather roll over in his grave--"Vote early and vote often" was truly his credo). Don't misunderstand, I am a responsible voter; before I cast my ballot, I read up on the candidates, the issues, their platforms. It's just that in my day-to-day life, I've got bigger fish to fry (mmmm, fried catfish....) than listening to every pundit's opinion on how grandly they think our government is screwing up on any given issue.
Last night, however, I stood in my living room and cheered. While I don't agree with all of President Obama's policies, I must say that his State of the Union address last night made me proud to live in a country where the people have a voice and we have the ability to hold our leaders accountable. To all those who thought the Occupy movement was disheveled and unorganized, take heed: our leaders heard us and are now starting an investigation into Wall Street's practices. To anyone who thought the economy was on a downward spiral with no hope of redemption as long as Obama held office, listen again to the section of his speech where he discusses how to create more jobs in this country FOR this country, and the rewards companies will receive in so doing. Under Obama's administration, Osama bin Laden is dead, our soldiers are returning home from Iraq, and green energy has moved to the forefront of political discussion. These are no small matters, folks.
Disagree with me, with liberals, with our President as much as you want. You're allowed, nay, entitled. It's part of what makes this country so great; I don't have to agree with you, and you can call me a tree-hugging, tofu-eating, Birkenstock-wearing granola bar, AND THAT'S OKAY. Never once have I thought that everyone in this country must subscribe to the same belief system as I do, just as long as we respect each other's differences and allow each other to be whoever we were meant to be. When Obama talked about the military's success in bringing down bin Laden, he talked about how one person does not deserve the credit--they worked as a team to succeed. He called for Americans to follow their example, and work together to rebuild this country. And I truly believe we can.
Set aside your partisanship, your religious differences, your financial situations, and let's work to recreate a country in which our children and grandchildren can thrive and grow. The call to action is now, friends. It's time to reclaim ourselves, our nation, and our freedom.
God (Allah, Vishnu, Yahweh, Gitche Manitou, or the Great Mother) bless America.
No way! (YA-WEH!)
ReplyDeleteNow that that's over with, Amen sister! Respect is the word. Folks need to listen to some Aretha now and then.