Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

Interweb, Meet Kitty Corolla

My mother swears that once you sign your name to a bunch of different pieces of paper, and then you owe someone lots of money, it means you're an adult.  I'm not sure if it's this particular rite of passage that has sworn me into the ranks, but nevertheless, I have done this a few times in my life.  Most recently, today.  That's right, Internet friends (or should I just say, "friends"--is anyone out there?), I bought a car today.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.  And by "give you a moment," I mean "I need to let my own breathing even out because it's a terrifying venture, buying a car."

Since my senior year of college, I have been driving Veronica, a beautiful 1996 Acura TL:

Isn't she gorgeous?

Veronica has been faithful, luxurious, and a wonderful car. 

That is, until October.

In October, she began having the automobile equivalent of a mid-life crisis--or maybe Menopause.  I tried everything I could think of to take care of her.  I talked sweetly to her.  Took her to the car doctor, had things tinkered with, replaced, buffed, shined, and coiffed.  I even promised to ease up on the road rage if it would help (what can I say, people in North Carolina be all kinds of crazy on the Interstate).  No dice.  She crossed over 200,000 miles, and all bets were off.  The crazy lady inside her little brain kicked down the door and wouldn't go away.  I began to realize, it was time to put her out to the proverbial pasture.  To let her go roam that big highway in the sky.

So I spent weeks and weeks looking for an adequate replacement.  I test drove plenty, trolled car websites, Craigslist, dealerships, hounded James (Best Friend's husband) about what he thought, pestered my father to no end, BLAH BLAH BLAH.  Finally, I found the One.

Meet Kitty Corolla:
 I'm Kitty Corolla, and I'm adorable!!

What she lacks in Veronica's sleek sex appeal, she more than makes up for in mileage (63,000), age (2006), working stereo system (but no iPod connector--boo), and reliability.

So, once again, I step blindly into that cavernous unknown, more commonly called Adulthood.  I've signed my name approximately 47,883 times today, and now I owe the bank thousands and thousands of dollars.  Tastes good, lemme tell ya.

What's on the docket for tonight, you ask?  Well, I'm closing at the Spa, which means it's Whale Songs and Waterfalls until 10pm (I know, right?), but then Kitty and I will be cruising down the road, rocking out to this.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, E, I'm dreading the day that the Pandamobile dies... congrats on the new baby! (and the working stereo!)

    If you have any stereo handy friends, they may be able to plug in a super long male-male audio connector-- Jeremy figured out how to do it in his car (a '97 Saturn) sooooo you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Nice new wheels, sister-E.

    ReplyDelete