SXSW. Ever heard of it? Yeah, me neither. It's a music/film/art/technology festival that takes place in Austin, TX, and apparently it's The Biz. South by Southwest (or SXSW, to those in the know) began in 1987 as a means for the musicians in Austin to reach out to people all across the globe. The first festival had 700 registrants, and has grown to well over 16,000 in recent years. Well-known bands play every year (Counting Crows and Ingrid Michaelson are on the docket for this year), but mostly it's for lesser-known artists to be able to play in front of agents, scouts, reps, etc. from all over the world. It's also a chance for people to share ideas, network, and discuss the future of art. One friend tells me that this festival is where Twitter premiered.
And so.
How is it I'm going to a festival I've never heard of before, in a town I've never visited? A friend from college emails me this weekend, and tells me I should come to Austin. I've always wanted to go, so I thought, "Well, hells bells, let's go!" The end of March worked best with my calendar, but he convinced me to move things around so that I could catch the tail end of SXSW earlier in the month. At first I was worried I wouldn't be able to get time off from both jobs, but both of my bosses not only said, "Of course you should go!" one of them said, "You should take me with you, and--oh yeah--here is a list of friends we have in Austin if you should need anything while you're there."
The perks of working for a hippy-dippy church. And knowing kick-ass people, really.
So, I'm off to Texas (my first trip to Texas, ever--I know, right?) in March for a long weekend of wonderful music, great food--or so I'm told, and marvelous friends.
Y'all, I gotta get a pair of boots before I go!!
E, you are going to looooove Austin!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you've never heard of SXSW!! How are you my friend and I have been such a terrible Texan and never told you about it?? I'm so ashamed. First of all, I think Austin might be the place for you. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Seriously. You will die. I mean not actually end your life, but you will seriously be transformed into another way of existence. While you are there: EAT AT EL ARROYO. There is a crappy new location but the original old shacky location is the best. YUMMM.
ReplyDelete