Search This Blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanks, y'all!

It's Thanksgiving Eve, and I'm sitting by a fire with two pups curled at my feet.  That in itself is enough to be thankful for.  (Ahem, "enough for which to be thankful."  Yes, I know.)  And while I'm a firm believer that we should take time to be grateful for something every day, not just on government mandated holidays, I still feel there are things that I need to say thanks for publicly.  So in the spirit of joy, irreverence, laughter, sadness, thanksgiving, and all the other things 2012 has brought me, here is this year's Thanks List:

For Patrick, my trainer, who just smiles sweetly whenever I tell him I can't do any more--and then makes me do it anyway.  You've taught me I'm stronger than I ever thought I'd be.

For Ellie, The Beagle of All Beagles, who is my constant companion and a daily source of happiness.  You've taught me what unconditional love looks like.

For Jeremy, The Boy Genius, who makes me laugh even when things aren't funny and makes my job with Jesus easy and fun.  You sir, have taught me that you can overcome anything.  Even when faced with hatred, ignorance, or uncertainty, you can come out on the other side still confident in who you are and where you want to be--and there will always be people that love you, no matter what.  (And there will always be Church Ladies happy to make a casserole to help things along.)

For my sisters, Jordan and Rosie:  co-conspirators since birth, you've taught me that our family might be crazy, but so is everyone else's and we should laugh and love and learn and grow from it.

For the two people in the world who are My People:  those I could call at 2am and ask for help hiding a body, and the only question they would ask is, "Do you want to drive or should I?"  Amanda and Mary Milam, my life would be much less colorful without you in it.  I'm thankful every day for both of you, and the love and support you've shown me, even (especially) when I don't deserve it.

For my parents and family who believe in my strength, even when I don't.  You taught me to always be curious, to be proud of any accomplishment no matter the size, and that "if I can see it, I can have it."

And for the little things that bring me inexplicable joy.  You'll probably think they're silly, but I don't care:

Hay bales dusted in morning dew
A plaintive melody on violin
The perfect martini
Random texts from friends who are strewn across this country, sharing the most current ridiculousness that is their lives
OPI nail polish color names (I'm Not Really a Waitress is the best name for a bright red shade EVER)
Belly laughs with friends--you know the ones I mean.  Where you're crying and gasping for breath and your stomach muscles hurt, and you don't really remember what was so funny anyway.
Finding the perfect word
Cheshire cat moons
Standing with my feet in the ocean

For these, and so many other things, I say, "Thanks, y'all."


No comments:

Post a Comment